Monday, November 12, 2007

Sidewalks and hair styles

I've been in Saigon for three nights - and it's a rather interesting city. I'm enjoying the sidewalk cafe's. Literally - sidewalk cafe's. The are these small, kid-size plastic chairs and tables you sit in on the sidewalk and there's a woman with a little cart who will bring you fresh juice, coffee, a smoothie, beer, soda. It's really quite nice because you can sit and watch the world go by. It's also interesting because the sidewalks are not really for walking. They're for the motobike shops to do their repairs, the sidewalk cafes, parking motos and cars, people to lay out whatever they're trying to sell, etc. So you end up walking down the side of the street. It's fine though, because cars drive toward the middle of the road and the motos toward the edges and motos are very good at dodging pedestrians. I haven't had any motos come close to me. It's this crazy kind of chaos that works. You just have to get used to it. The motos go pretty slow so the one time I did see 2 of them bump into each other, the people laughed about it and didn't even lose their balance.

I've been in desperate need of a fresh coat of polish on my toes so I finally got my pedicure the day before yesterday. I went to the salon next to my hotel with another gal in my group, Rachel. While we were there - there was an asian woman from the US getting her hair done. She reccomended the shampoo so highly that we decided to stick around for some more beauty treatments. I got a deep condition, shampoo and my hair blew straight. Rachel also got her hair cut. But let me tell you - this was no ordinary shampoo. It was a 1/2 hour head massage. Quite lovely. I could get used to this. And the cost of my hour plus of beauty? $20. That's the cost of getting the stylist to blow my hair straight at home. So here's a photo of Rachel and I with straigt hair, enjoing a beverage at the sidewalk cafe.
Next up - adventures on Hoi An. We're departing Saigon in an hour. Just a warning - I've been having trouble with internet in Vietnam, so posts might not come as often.

No comments: